a lifestyle, motherhood, & running blog

Search

Recipe: Slow Cooker Tortilla Soup

Last Saturday morning, I woke up on Kiawah with every intention of getting up and running 9 - 9.5 miles on the half marathon course.

But... it was windy. And cold. And I was more interested in re-watching last Thursday's episode of Scandal and stalking everyone in Columbia's snow pictures. My bed was way more comfortable than a pair of running shoes.

My parents were thinking along the same lines as I was and they got up to put a soup in the slow cooker for lunch. They've been raving about this soup so I was pretty pumped to try it out. Unfortunately... they put onions in the soup and I can't stand onions. I had to smell this incredible soup cooking all day and then couldn't even it eat it! Talk about torture.

I ended up making this soup when I got back to Charlotte and y'all, it was delicious. So much better without the onions :)



Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup
{original recipe can be found here}

Ingredients

1 lb chicken breast
11 oz can sweet corn kernels, drained
15 oz can diced tomatoes, drained
5 cups chicken stock
3/4 cup onion, chopped*
1 whole green pepper, chopped
1 serrano pepper, minced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
1 1/2 tsp salt, divided
1 tsp pepper, divided

*If you're like me & you hate onions, you can substitute minced onions here instead

Directions
1. Add the first 10 ingredients to your slow cooker plus 1 tsp salt and and 3/4 tsp pepper.
2. Cook on high for 4 hours or low for 8 hours.
3. Once cook, shred chicken & season with remaining salt & pepper. Return chicken to slow cooker.
4. Serve, eat, & enjoy!



This makes a lot of soup so I saved some to eat for a few meals this week and I froze the rest. There is nothing better than waking up in the morning, popping some frozen soup in the fridge to defrost, and being able to heat it up for dinner that night... especially in the winter. I've got quite the little stockpile going in my freezer now {Taco Soup, Broccoli & Cheddar Soup, & now Tortilla Soup} that's ready and waiting for when I need it!

3 comments

  1. A friend made this for a chili/soup event at church and it was amazing! Happy that I have the recipe now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. onions onions onions! give me alllllllllllllll the onions!!! haha looks awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks so good! Dan and I eat soup all the time. We'll have to swap recipes soon!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...